title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

03 September 2008

::so this is what it was like::

You may have guessed, from my lack of postings, that I've been taking a vacation--a mental vacation that is. Since it is getting harder and harder for me to care for O by myself, we decided it was time to get a full-time nanny for her.

So in my spare time, I've returned to my books. So far, I am averaging two books a week. Non-fiction is still my preferred genre, but I've ventured a little into the world of historical fiction. I know, sounds a little scary, but it actually makes sense.

As a mom about to give birth to twins in two months, you'd think I wouldn't want to read a book about the history of botched-up midwifery and chauvinistic obstetric attitudes. Yet, I found it enormously interesting and informative. It hasn't changed my mind about how to bring my twins into the world (drug me up, cut me up, and sew me up!), but it certainly has opened my eyes to the different opinions of how other women think of the birthing process. I highly recommend "Birth" by Tiny Cassidy for those who are less squeamish.

From the other end of the spectrum, I highly recommend "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. In a way, the book is factually informative because the author makes a point of describing life as it was in 12th Century Europe. But as a plus for me, the entire storyline centers around the building of a medieval cathedral. There are some common-sense inaccuracies (wool doesn't burn!!!), of course, but still entertaining nevertheless. There is one HUGE drawback though: the book is freaking looooooong!

No comments: