title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

01 October 2013

:: Photography Tips + Tricks: choosing a dSLR lens | part two ::

Happy Tuesday! I am sooo enjoying this glorious autumn weather. Perfect weather for the Holiday Mini Photo Sessions! Please email me for more information and to book a spot. Limited spots available.  Reserve your session now!

Last week, I outlined some basics of dSLR lenses. This week, let's get down to the specifics! Again, your aesthetic and shooting style will help you determine which lens(s) is best suited for your needs. Of course, these are MY suggestions; they are in no way the gospel ;-)

First, perhaps it'd be helpful to tell you what I have in my camera bag:
  • Canon 5D Mark ii camera body
  • Canon 50mm f/1.2L prime lens (normal focal length)
  • Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L zoom lens (wide to telephoto FL)
  • Canon 24-105mm f/4.0L IS zoom lens (wide to telephoto FL; IS = image stability)
  • Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L zoom lens (telephoto FL)
Mind you, I rarely carry all of this equipment to my on-location shoots. As I became more comfortable with my shooting style and workflow, I figured out which lenses will give me the best results. Since I shoot mostly portraits and lifestyle images, I chose lenses that could give me beautifully blurred backgrounds as well as responsiveness in low-light situations -- lenses that have f/stop values (wideness/openness of the aperture) of at least f/2.8.

My favorite lens of ALL TIME is the 50mm.  The "Nifty-Fifty", as the 50mm is lovingly called, is a must-have. It allows me to shoot in low-light and/or indoors without a tripod or flash, while giving me the dreamy, creamy blurred background that I love. HOWEVER, remember that if your camera has a crop-sensor (beginner/semi-pro models) rather than a full-frame sensor (pro models), the 50mm will in fact act more like a 85mm in terms of angle of view and magnification.  Some photographers also like the 85mm prime lens for portraits. The 85mm is great for capturing details (close-ups of eyelashes, ears, little hands and feet), as it could work a lot like a macro lens.

All shot indoors, in low light, on the Canon 5D Mark ii with the Cannon 50mm f/1.2L lens: ISO 1600, f/1.2, 1/125sec
Canon offers three versions of the 50mm: the f/1.8, f/1.4 and f/1.2L. If you currently do not own a 50mm, start off with the f/1.8, which costs less than $150.00. If you fall in love with the f/1.8 but feel like you may want to upgrade to the f/1.4 or f/1.2, you always have the option of selling the old lens on sites such as eBay or craigslist.org. Try not to do a trade-in at your local camera shop if you could help it -- you will not get a very good trade-in value, as compared to selling the lens online. Likewise, be on the lookout for good deals on used/refurbished equipment on eBay and craigslist.org. Be sure to ask the seller why they are selling it though. Sometimes the item may not be in great working condition; make sure you check out the mechanisms and auto focus by mounting it onto your camera body to make sure it takes sharp photos in different conditions.

The other lens that I carry with me to all of my shoots is the 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom lens. This is the lens that stays on my camera most of the time for both business and pleasure. I love the range of focal lengths and the aperture is wide enough that I could shoot in low-light in a pinch, provided I bump up the ISO or lower the shutter speed. If you prefer to own just ONE versatile, all-around lens, instead of an arsenal of different lenses, a zoom lens with a low f-stop value is the way to go.

Canon 5D Mark ii with the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L lens: 45mm, f/2.8, 1/4000sec

There isn't really another Canon lens that is equivalent to the f/2.8L, but Sigma makes a Canon-compatible lens that has received great reviews. The Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 on a crop-sensor camera, will effectively match the magnifications of the 24-70mm on a full-frame camera. At less than $570.00, it is a great investment that will allow you a lot of flexibility and make your shooting easier and more enjoyable.

For those who do not mind a higher f/stop value, a zoom lens with f/stop value of f/4 would work almost as well if it has an Image Stabilizing mechanism of some sort. Remember, in low-light conditions, a higher f/stop value requires slower shutter speeds to allow the same amount the light to hit the sensor, as compared to a lower f/stop value. The IS feature will allow you to slow down your shutter speed to more than 1/60 (1/40, for example), while minimizing blurring due to camera shake. While the 24-105 f/4L IS does not have a low f/stop value, I still use it occasionally because it gives me very sharp images with nice, clean colors, even in low light conditions.

For the aspiring paparazzi, or mamarazzi for that matter, the 70-200mm f/2.8 might be exactly what you need. However, to be honest, I use the lens only occasionally for weddings and engagement sessions. Without a tripod or IS mechanism, the 70-200mm lens's hefty weight causes more camera/hand shake blurriness because it is HEAVY. Also, the Canon version is relatively expensive, although a similar lens by Tamron costs about 1/3 less. If I had to make a choice, I'd choose the Sigma 17-50mm over the 70-200mm any day.

If you're a careful shopper and would like to try out the lenses before you make the investment, services such as Borrow Lenses lets you do just that. You could even rent lenses for special occasions -- such as births, birthdays or weddings -- and benefit from the pro quality equipment at a fraction of the cost.

As always, if you'd rather have some one-on-one time with me, you are always welcome to contact me to schedule a private lesson.

Have a wonderful day!


No comments: