title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

06 February 2008

::happy new year: :

It's New Year's Eve--Chinese style. As Uncle M reminded us, it will be the Year of the Rat tomorrow. This means I will be 36 years old this year (12 year cycle)...hmmm...

A little Rattus rattus anecdote for you. While in college, I worked as a research assistant at the National Museum of Natural History. I had the honor of assisting the coolest, nicest professor in the world, Dr. Joe T. Marshall from the University of Arizona. He was close to 80 years of age, yet he was more vibrant than most folks half his age. We used to sprint the three flights of stairs inside the museum everyday instead of taking the elevator. He was ahead of me every time.

At the time, his research at the time focused mainly on birds and rodents. He used to document his research subjects with beautiful pencil drawings and gorgeous water color paintings. Not are they works of art, the drawings and paintings also contained real dimensions and porportion of the subjects. Amazing.

In addition to having the honor of learning from a well-seasoned zoologist, I was working amidst one of the best collections in the world. Drawers and drawers full of rare specimens...for me, it was like a kid in a candy store!

One drawer was particularly memorable. While cataloging specimens for Dr. M's research, I stumbled upon drawers labled "Rattus rattus." The Common Black Rat. Not cute at all. Out of curiosity, I opened the drawer of Indian (subcontinent) rats. OMG...I was speechless.

NYC and DC rats are nothing compared to these suckers. Minus the tail, these rats measure at over a foot each! Yech! In fact, Dr. M told me these rats are city dwellers that sometimes chew through concrete sidewalks or asphalt, dig a tunnel under the city and come up in a rice patty. EEEeeeK!

Happy Rat Year!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE IN YOUR LOCAL PRIMARIES !!!!!!!!!! *if you haven't already*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're too humble :) - did you show brian your map? with your name in print as the draftsperson. next to Miss O - your highest achievement surely.