title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

30 January 2012

:: people pictures | washington dc portrait photographer ::

I'm an avid non-fiction reader and documentary film junkie. Just check out the list of books on my virtual book shelf at the bottom of this page. I read scientific non-fiction & technical photography books like they're going out of style (were they ever in style???).

Recently, some of my fellow photographer friends recommended a more soulful alternative to my usual genre --"People Pictures: 30 Exercises for Creating Authentic Photographs" by photographer Chris Orwig. I devoured it in ONE day.

Book cover photo by Chris Orwig

It is a beautiful book -- in both words and images. It really emphasizes and reinforces the importance of an emotional connection between the photographer and the subject(s). The author guides the reader through a journey of personal exploration and growth using 30 experimental exercises. The emphasis is on developing a unique point of view and changing the way you see and evaluate pictures.

This book really speaks to me because when I look at a photograph (whether by me or others), I am always looking for greater meaning and connection beyond the technical aspects of photography (composition, exposure, sharpness, processing etc). There is no doubt mastering the essential techniques is important to the development of a photographer. However, I believe it is even more important to discover the uniqueness of {everyday stories} and capture the inherent beauty within each of my subjects by really "seeing" beyond what is in front of the lens.

For the next 30 weeks, I will introduce a new exercise from the book on this blog every Monday and post the results the following Monday. Download the book now! I'd love it if you would consider joining me. Please feel free to email me your results at leslie@binkiesandnoseprints.com or post your photos (+ tagging yourself) on my Facebook fan page.

I look forward to sharing this photographic journey with you. We'll start the first exercise in the next post!

~L~

**Spring Mini Sessions open now, limited spots, please email me or read yesterday's post for more info**

No comments: