title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

26 October 2007

::7th Gen::

Yes, I did well in organic chemistry. I had to, my parents said so. No, seriously, it was a very interesting class. In fact, the way one thinks about organic molecules in 3-D is very similar to spatial design in architecture.

However, my geeky interest in "orgo" never translated into healthy living until I became pregnant. During my entire pregnancy, I only ate organic foods and tried to use household products that are cruelty-free and natural. Now that O is here, I am getting better about looking for better products that are good for her and the environment.

Started out as a catalog company, Seventh Generation sells non-toxic household and personal hygiene products that are safe for everyone and the environment. Among the various 7th Gen products are chlorine-free disposable diapers. Chlorine apparently is a major contributor to the rising dioxin levels in our environment. Long-term dioxin exposure can lead to cancer. However, since the 7th Gen diapers are NOT biodegradable (the waterproof components are poly), using them still contributes to our multiplying landfill problem. In that respect, G Diapers have an upper hand. Although, I am impressed by the absorbency of the 7th Gen diapers--one diaper can last through the night without leakage.

One thing bothers me however. The "poly" backing and outer covering is what exactly? Polymer? Polycarb? POLYESTER??? How do we know THAT's not harmful to the babies...considering the recent BPA-plastic bottle scandal.

I feel pretty good about the 7th Gen wipes, though. Non-chlorine, cloth-like wipes infused with natural cleansing, healing and moisturizing agents. I love using it because I can use it to clean Olivia's hands and sippy cup without worrying about her ingesting fragrances and harmful chemicals.

The 7th Gen diapers cost a little more than Huggies and Pampers per unit, but is comparable to the gDiapers. You can find 7th Gen products at your local Wholefoods stores or other organic markets.

2 comments:

Blogger User said...

I switched to 7th Gen diapers & wipes recently. I find that on diapers.com they are almost as cheap as Pampers, especially if you buy a 7th Gen "savings card" for $20 that gets you discounts on all things 7th Gen.

Leslie C said...

Thanks Robin! V also buys them from 1800diapers.com for less plus free shipping. Wholefoods just a had a great sale on 7th Gen baby products.

Hope to see you and Benson soon!!!