title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

23 October 2007

::go organic::

Sooo...I am trying to feed O only organic food. It is possible, but it is definitely more expensive and the selection is limited. However, I find that the limited selection also keeps me in check in terms of the quality of food. No organic Oreos...yet. I also try to dress her in organic clothing. Again, that gets pricey. Do the benefits outweigh the expense?

How about organic mattresses? I've heard that a lot of parents are now buying organic cotton or wool mattresses rather than the typical plastic and foam models. Supposedly, the flame retardant on the conventional mattresses are off-gassing some serious chemicals that could harm your baby. Natural materials are actually fire resistant. For instance, if you put a flame up to your wool rug, it will not burn. Believe me, I've tried it personally. Another option is a mattress made from natural rubber. Makes sense, since rubber actually comes from a living tree.

I also just bought O a Born Free sippy cup. Apparently, it is made from polyamide rather than the harmful polycarbonate chemical, Bisphenol-A (BPA). BPA has been shown to cause neurological, developmental and reproductive problems in laboratory animals. As a bonus, Born Free bottles and cups feature a new air vent system which supposedly reduces colic symptoms.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS??? I'D LOVE TO GET SOME FEEDBACK ON WHY YOU'VE GONE ORGANIC!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is a good place to start: put your organic chemistry skills to this and let me know what you come up with.

http://www.naturepedic.com/research/fiveproblems.php

jennymcflint said...

We shelled out the extra expense for an organic mattress. Our reasoning was this: Babies' lungs are more susceptible than ours to toxins, and a baby could spend 12-14 hours a day with his face pressed up against the mattress (not my sleepless baby, but I'm told that SOME babies do sleep...). If there are toxic fumes, he is there to breathe them. For the same reason, we use no-VOC paint in the house.

But I work on an organic farm, so I buy he whole organic-is-better gig, hook, line, and sinker, to mix metaphors a bit. And not just because I think it's better for the baby and better for us, but I buy the environmental reasons, as well. I think of it this way: Buy sustainable products and pay the premium now, or buy conventional and we'll pay the price later--with our land and our health.

My legs are cramping from all this standing on my soapbox...

Leslie C said...

Thanks Jenny, for your input! Lauren sent me pic of H sitting among the pumpkins...cuuute! Hope all is well!