title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

03 September 2013

:: Photography Tips + Tricks: camera tilt ::

As promised, I am back here to share another photography tip/trick. Like the "Rule of Thirds", the "Camera Tilt" is a simple trick that will make the overall composition of your photographs that much more interesting and active.

When shooting candid children's portraits, I often think about how to frame my shots in order to emphasize the movements and playfulness of my subjects. For instance, in this photograph, I wanted to highlight the motion of her skipping down the sidewalk. In addition to adjusting my shutter speed (which I will talk about in another Tips + Tricks!), I tilted my camera slightly so that the horizon in the background is not at 180 degrees; instead, it is slanting downward towards the right bottom corner. As a result, one could feel gravity acting on her landing foot, pulling her down towards the ground. All of a sudden, the photograph is much more alive and full of implied motion.





Another use of the Camera Tilt trick is to liven up a closely cropped portrait. As seen below, I tilted the camera because in addition to capturing the mischief in her smile, I also wanted to emphasize the fleeting nature of her expression.


Try out this trick and let me know what you think!

As always, if you'd rather have some one-on-one time with me, you are always welcome to contact me to schedule a private lesson.

No comments: