title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

10 September 2013

:: Photography Tips + Tricks: foreground, middleground, background andperspective ::

Have you ever noticed that when you look at a photograph, your eyes automatically go to the object that is sharpest (in focus) and/or high in contrast? In portrait photography, we could use this to our advantage. By setting the camera’s aperture as wide as possible (at least F/2.8) and using selective focus, you could create sharp, contrast-y portraits with creamy, blurry backgrounds.

Subject in foreground, credenza (to the left), sofa & lamp in the middleground, windows and beyond in the background 
Before taking a close-up portrait, I first try to quickly visually survey my surroundings. I look for a background that is neutral and not distracting. I then position the subject close to the middleground (interesting wall, beautiful vegetation). This allows me to keep my subject sharp (focusing on the eyes) in the foreground. When used with the Rule-of-Thirds and/or Camera Tilt, you can create a more interesting portrait that offers layers of depth, rather than a boring, flat photo.

Subject in foreground, beautifully textured wall in the middleground, lush vegetation in the background

Another related tip that I find helpful when making a portrait, is to use natural perspective lines to enhance the middleground. A defined perspective creates strong diagonals that the eyes are automatically drawn to. For instance, when you place a subject in front of a textured wall, don’t shoot straight on. Instead, shoot from an angle such that the lines of the wall seem to converge on the horizon, toward the background.

Now that we've gone over some basics of composition, check back next Tuesday for some basic tips + tricks on taming that dSLR for better portraits :-)

As always, if you'd rather have some one-on-one time with me, you are always welcome to contact me to schedule a private lesson.


No comments: