title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

06 February 2012

:: exercise #1 results {pictures in 10 min} | 30 people pictures ::

For our first "People Pictures" exercise, we challenged ourselves by getting back to the basics -- shooting in manual, manual focus & short session duration (10 minutes!). To me, the hardest part was getting well-composed, meaningful shots while concentrating on the technical aspects of picture-taking.

Since I needed to challenge myself, I decided against using my "usual test subjects" (i.e. my children!); instead, I asked someone who has never been in front of my camera before. Luckily, one of my beautiful sister-in-laws just came to visit us from London -- so I roped her into helping me this week :-)

50 mm, ISO 800, F/1.8, 1/60 sec
This image is SOOC, except I cropped a little tighter and converted it to black and white. As you can see, the image is a little soft -- manual focus is HARD! Especially when you are as myopic as me. Who knows if my prescription is up to date :-) In any case, I took this picture while we were just chatting during lunch at a restaurant. We haven't seen Irene for over a year -- she had been working non-stop on her PhD dissertation at the London School of Economics. This accomplished anthropologist (and musician) -- who specializes in issues concerning the Middle East -- passed her exams with flying colors this Fall and is now a professor at Cambridge University. My children are very lucky to have such a positive role-model in their lives.

My intent was to be able to capture the joy of being with her family and the relief that I imagine she feels after such an intense academic program. My son helped by sitting in her lap and being his hilarious self, making his Auntie I laugh out loud. Getting the proper exposure was challenging-- we were sitting about 15 feet away from the nearest window, and Irene was back lit during most of the exercise. I took it slowly, and made sure that I'd gotten the proper manual settings first before I started shooting. On a typical shoot, I talk to my subjects quite a bit. I find that with adults, a normal conversation with them while I shoot makes for genuine, meaningful images. So I tried doing that this time as well. By the time I got this shot, Irene had no idea I had already begun my 10-minute exercise.

To see this week's results from other photographers, please visit:

Group -- http://dc2011women.blogspot.com/
Abbey Road Designs -- http://abbeyroaddesigns.blogspot.com/ 
Claudia Muir Photography -- http://claudiamuirphotography.com/blog/
GSG Photography -- http://gsgphotography.wordpress.com/
Elaine Janet Photography– http://elainejanet.com/
The New Diplomat's Wife -- http://thenewdiplomatswife.blogspot.com/
What Eyes See Daily -- http://whateyesseedaily.blogspot.com

Be sure to leave comments and feedback! We'd love to hear from you! Please check back here tomorrow for Exercise #2!

7 comments:

The New Diplomats Wife said...

she's gorgeous! beautiful portrait and I think the soft focus actually adds to it a bit, a bit more like film.

Claudia said...

I just lost my comment, darn.

I love this portrait especially for its softness. It's something that would totally bug me in my own image because I tend to overfocus on the focus (ooh, bad pun). I, too, was reminded of MeRa telling us that the story is more important than the clean technical execution (although I try to combine both).

How hard was it to focus manually! I broke out in a sweat. I gained a new appreciation for photographers back in the day!

leslie said...

I actually like the softer focus on this one and I love the b&w conversion. Really lovely.

Laura lok said...

Beautiful shot

Lizzy said...

You really captured a great moment and I think the soft focus adds to it. The lighting is wonderful. Beautiful.

Molly L. said...

I love the casualness of this. She is very relaxed and I think this helps her personality come through. I like it in b&w, too.

Elaine J said...

I love how natural she looks. Through this image, I feel what a wonderful time she is having with you. You captured a terrific candid image!!