title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

20 February 2012

:: exercise #3 results {defining your style} | 30 people pictures ::

As a recovering architect, I have always defined my style in architectural terms:

CLASSIC MODERN (Bauhaus, Mies van der Rohe, le Corbusier) with a touch of CHARLES + RAY EAMES = Form Follows Function with a touch of nostalgic softness.

This week's "People Pictures" exercise allowed me to think about "my style" in terms of objects, colors, music and food, which in turn reinforced what I already know about myself and my craft. I encourage everyone to do this exercise -- it will help you clarify/define your style and hopefully you'll also discover something about yourself.


{5 out of 25 Favorite OBJECTS} ribbons | lighting | bag | balloons | stationary

{RIBBONS} colorful, textural, seemingly infinite in one dimension, while finite in the other dimension = one point perspective (photo courtesy of Our Labor of Love)

{LIGHTING} one purpose (to illuminate), yet so many ways of doing it (uplight, downlight, diffused light, spotlight)

{BAG} form follows function with the promise of adaptive use and evolution (Jack Spade Coal Bag = my camera bag)

{BALLOONS} idealized happiness + innocence (Tumblr.com)

{STATIONARY} visually and/or verbally communicative, purposeful and tactile (photo courtesy of Elum)

{Seasonal COLORS} I adore the color ORANGE. To me, it is mercurial, lovable and charismatic. It is unstoppable and can be morphed to fit into any color scheme/season. I'm still not sure which season best describes my photographic style, but perhaps an elegant yet complex shade of orange???




{SPRING} optimistic, hopeful, fresh



{SUMMER} vibrant, lively, lush


{AUTUMN} dreamy, quiet, contemplative
{WINTER} easeful, content, serene
(all color palettes by design-seeds.com)

{IDEAL WEATHER for Photo Shoot} Clear sunny day with puffy cumulus clouds. Preferably filtered late afternoon sun.

I love this image because 1) I had beautiful subjects and 2) the light quality of the early autumn afternoon light was AMAZING.

{MUSIC Style} An interesting combo of Nina Simone | Leonard Cohen | Eva Cassidy | New Order. Classic, with dashes of bohemian + electric . I find that what I listen to while editing depends on the feel that I get from my clients and their session. I try to really FEEL the emotions of the story that I've captured , and music allows me to insert myself into these intimate moments. To hear some of my favorites, click on my Playlist tab above.

{FOOD Style} Cupcakes. Cupcakes. Cupcakes. I know cupcakes are now considered passe, but what's not to love?! It is delicate, colorful and sweet. It is childhood perfection personified.


This was a looong exercise, but I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about myself and my stylistic vision. Read about my fellow photographers' self-discovery and photographic styles:

Abbey Road Designs -- http://abbeyroaddesigns.blogspot.com/
Claudia Muir Photography -- http://claudiamuirphotography.com/blog/
GSG Photography -- http://gsgphotography.wordpress.com/
Elaine Janet Photography– http://elainejanet.com/
What Eyes See Daily -- http://whateyesseedaily.blogspot.com
Group -- http://dc2011women.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

Leslie, I love how you incorporated all the pictures into your lesson. Mine is one long written post...yours flows beautifully.