title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

21 February 2012

:: exercise #4: 3 days of portraits with b/w film | 30 people pictures ::


SPECS
  • Goal: 30 black and white people pictures.
  • Tools: Film camera; lens of your choice.
  • Light: Natural or available light.
  • Location: Outdoor or indoor.
  • Theme: ENDURANCE.
  • Duration: Three different days.
  • Subject(s): family, friends or strangers.
CHALLENGES
  • Step 1: Find a FILM camera.
  • Step 2: Choose film -- try the classic B/W Kodak Tri-X.
  • Step 3 {Day 1}: Pound the pavement and capture 10 pictures of people.
  • Step 4 {Day 2}: Make 10 window light portraits by positioning subject next to a window without directional or direct sunlight. Bracket exposure (underexposed, properly exposed, overexposed).
  • Step 5 {Day 3}: Make 10 outdoor portraits.
  • Step 6: Make prints of the 30 portraits by sending the film to photo lab.
  • Step 7: Reflect on this experience and write down what results you hope to find; set aside 5 top portraits and tape them to your journal; if none turned out nicely, repeat Steps 1 -7.
PRODUCT
  • 5 out of 30 BW portrait prints (from film) to put into your journal.
For more tips and inspiration, please read Chris Orwig's "People Pictures."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My first reaction to this exercise was: Holy @#$% !!! Where am I going to find a film camera and how in ^&*@ am I going to be able to make 30 worthy FILM portraits without giving myself a coronary?!

But that's just the point, isn't it? When we step out of our comfort zone, that is when we really challenge ourselves. While I haven't used a film camera since my little stainless steel point-n-shoot from 1997, I would love a chance to try a Holga 120. For $39.99 (+ $3.49 for a roll of BW Holga film), it is certainly within reason.  On the other hand, if anyone is willing to lend me a film SLR, I'd love to experiment with that as well :-)

Holga Glo 120N Plastic Medium Format Camera (Orange Burst)


Since this exercise requires a lot of heart, sweat and time, let's leave the deadline open. The point of the exercise is to test your endurance and resolve -- keep trying to make great film portraits until you GET.IT.RIGHT. Realistically, however, most people don't have the luxury of dedicating a chunk of contiguous time to an exercise like this. So let's take it one step at a time and make it as enjoyable as possible. I will post my results as soon as I am able, but will post updates in the meantime.

Have fun experimenting!

No comments: