title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

17 February 2012

:: finding light | washington dc natural light photographer ::

Don't get me wrong. I actually like my external flash; on the other hand, I am totally ok that my $$$ camera doesn't have one that's built-in. I still get really startled every time I see someone's built-in flash on their dSLR POP! up automatically. That's why the 50mm F/1.2 L lens is my all time favorite to use in low light situations -- I can keep the aperture wide open to let max light in and get the creamy bokeh/background my clients want. Against popular opinion, I find the 85mm (a much favored "portrait" lens) to be too close for indoor shots.

Sometimes I stumble upon good light in unexpected places. The staircases in older museums of another era are really intriguing to me. They are usually very grand in scale, and they're usually well-lit by double/triple height glass openings. Moreover, the light-colored stone materials often found in these spaces act as perfect light diffusers. I would love to do a series of silhouette portraits in some of these gorgeous staircases around town.





No comments: