title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

02 April 2012

:: exercise #8 results {drawing a visual map} | 30 people pictures ::

Exercise #8 asks us to really dig deep and visualize what who we really are and what makes us and our photographic work uniquely ours. It also asks us to layout a road map, if you will, of what we'd like to achieve with our photography in the future.
I found myself analyzing the past (tragedy/loss), taking inventory of the present (word self-portrait & interests/passions), and projecting into the future (connections & goals). It is a process that I think should be renewed regularly in one's life. With a deeper understanding of how we got to the here and now, we are better able to set meaningful goals for ourselves and achieve them. Ultimately, my goal is to be able to distill honest, story-telling pictures by connecting emotionally and intellectually with my subjects and viewers.

One of the most profound experiences for me as a child was moving to the U.S. with my family & adjusting to a brand new way of life. While I found it hard to hold onto the culture into which I was born, I've come to appreciate it more and more each day -- especially when looking at my children, and imagining how rich their experiences will be growing up "mixed" in a diverse yet increasingly blended society.

I'd like to make a series of narrative portraits about children from all over the world -- little global citizens -- with particular emphasis on children with multi-cultural backgrounds. Not the sterile United Colors of Benetton ads, circa 1984, but more meaningful portraits in temporal and geographical context.

Here is one of my little global citizens:


To see what my fellow photographers thought about this exercise, please visit:

No comments: