title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

03 May 2007

::warm and cozy::

Now that my hormo-nies are back to normal, let's continue with our talk about the nursery. Architectdad and I were very concerned about keeping the nursery warm and cozy for O. So we turned upside down the libraries of our respective firms, trying to find the perfect materials.

We were mainly looking for window treatment and floor covering. After extensive search and a lot of help from my interior design guru and style maven , C.B., I found the perfect floor covering. Since we are not big fans of wall-to-wall carpets (yech!), we decided to use carpet tiles instead.

You are probably thinking, ewww...carpet tiles? Like the ones they use in office spaces??? NOOO!!! These are the new generation of tiles that are specifically designed for the home. We could've used our many Turkish rugs for the nursery--courtesy of our friend Aydin from Blacksheep Carpets; but the advantage of using carpet tiles is, if one tile is soiled, you can replace it with a new one. Perfect for babies and kids

Through our professional contacts at Interface
FLOR, we bought about 30 modular tiles for the entire room. Each tile is about 19.7" x 19.7". I designed a custom pattern using three different colors of the same style. Architectdad cut the pieces into halves and quarters strips, and laid them out according to the pattern. The final product is seamless and gorgeous, if I may say so myself! With over 50 styles, you could even mix and match the styles to create your own look.

For the window treatment, I wanted to use classic modern patterns from Maharam's 'Textiles of the 20th Century' collection. In particular, I wanted to layer the Eames 'dot pattern sheer positive' over the 'dot pattern sheer negative' to filter the light. Unfortunately, I couldn't order the fabrics in time. Instead we layered a thick velvet curtain over a sheer white panel for the winter. Now that the weather is warm, the Eames panels would be perfect.

No comments: