title

:: me! ::

My photo
CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Family. Friends. Hounds. Books. The Beach. Autumn. Cameras. Computer. iPhone. The color orange. Caramel frappucino. The words "dude!" and "nice!". Oh...and world peace ;-)

follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Labels

babies (16) family (32) kids (113) newborn (8) pets (5) Project Life 365 (165) promotions (22) Tips and Tricks (20)

pin it

13 April 2007

::baby wearing::

I mentioned in the previous blog that I use the Kate Spade front carrier (see left) when I take the baby for a walk with the dogs. I forgot to mention that I also use the Hotslings pouch sling (see right) for this purpose.

O likes the sling better because the tightness of the pouch seems to remind her of the womb, while the front carrier splays her legs out and puts all the pressure on the diapered area. She will soon be old enough to face forward in the front carrier, but for now the sling allows her to look out at the world, while her head is supported by the sling.

The Kate Spade carrier (really a repackaged McLaren) features a removable pod for infants who are 8-12 lbs. This allowed us to "wear" O on us soon after she is born. As far as I know, the other carriers have a higher minimum weight recommendation. For us, it is comfortable, as it distributes O's weight on both shoulders. Also, it has a secondary harness that attaches to O's waist, which prevents accidental "spillage" of the baby when you bend over.

The sling (we use the organic hemp model) fits neatly around the baby and conforms to the baby's shape, thanks to the 3% Lycra content. However, you need to keep one hand on the baby when you bend over because she/he may "pop" out if the sling is not fitted properly.

There are also tons of websites out there that offer free DIY instruction on how to sew your own sling. The site I found most useful is here. It offers photos, as well as diagrams, of each step. I made a few slings myself by following the directions and they turned out great. The best part about making your own sling is you can choose your own fabrics.

In addition to the physical closeness that comes with wearing O, I also feel a mental connection that is no doubt beneficial for both of us. Try it...if you don't like it, there's always the Bugaboo!

No comments: